- This yr’s greatest startup flameout was Theranos, the embattled medical know-how firm that raised nearly $1 billion in its lifetime.
- Utilizing information from PitchBook, these are the 25 most beneficial American startups that died in 2018.
Having tens of millions of in backing from enterprise capitalists would not assure the longevity of a startup.
Even well-established non-public firms are at fixed danger of failure, as evidenced by a few of the startups that went out of enterprise this yr. PitchBook compiled information on the 25 most beneficial startups that failed in 2018; three of those firms have been round for greater than 20 years and had been nonetheless pressured to shutter.
Startups within the healthcare business took an enormous hit — seven firms on the checklist are within the medical sector.
The checklist is headed by Theranos, the blood-testing firm, whose $9 billion valuation was larger than these of all the opposite startups on the checklist mixed. It in the end flamed out after a sequence of Wall Road Journal experiences raised critical questions on its know-how.
Listed here are the 25 most beneficial VC-backed startups that failed in 2018:
SEE ALSO: The 25 most beneficial non-public tech firms within the US
26. SDCmaterials — vehicle nanotechnology
Yr based: 2004
Most valuation: $48 million
Quantity raised: $26 million
Learn extra about SDCmaterials on PitchBook.
25. Senzari — music and leisure information intelligence
Yr based: 2010
Most valuation: $52 million
Quantity raised: $13 million
Learn extra about Senzari on PitchBook.
23. Industrial Origami — industrial materials producer
Yr based: 2003
Most valuation: $58 million
Quantity raised: $41 million
Learn extra about Industrial Origami on PitchBook.
See the remainder of the story at Enterprise Insider