Pinterest and Lyft transfer nearer to IPO, and LPs query the Imaginative and prescient Fund’s funding technique
Hiya and welcome again to Fairness, TechCrunch’s enterprise capital-focused podcast, the place we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
What every week. It had seemed a bit quiet with only a few massive rounds to cowl. I used to be wanting ahead to a relaxed episode, frankly. However no, as Kate and I have been prepping the present notes, the Information Gods opened the heavens and dropped a fifty-weight of mana proper on our heads.
It was lots of information.
In fast order, right here’s what we tried to run by whereas protecting it transient:
- Pinterest has filed to go public, albeit privately. In the end, Pinterest’s IPO is underway. The social firm is gunning for liquidity this yr, might go public in June and isn’t concentrating on a down IPO. It’s wanting like $12 billion and up for Huge Pint.
- Lyft’s IPO is racing alongside. Lyft filed to go public again in December, dropping personal filings neck-and-neck with Uber. The 2 ride-hailing corporations are each slated to get out this yr, however evidently Lyft goes to cleared the path. Much more, it’s tipped to get out at a $20 billion to $25 billion valuation. As grounding, right here’s the very best math I might provide you with regarding these numbers.
- DoorDash will get $400 million extra. The rumored DoorDash spherical has landed, although it’s formed a bit in a different way than we anticipated. DoorDash didn’t increase $500 million at a $6 billion valuation, it as an alternative picked up $100 million much less, however at a stronger $7.1 billion valuation. And, in fact, the Imaginative and prescient Fund was concerned.
- Extra Imaginative and prescient Fund largesse lands on Litter and Flexport. What’s every week with only one Imaginative and prescient Fund spherical? A waste, in fact. So, listed here are two extra. Litter picked up $200 million whereas Flexport raised a way more spectacular $1 billion. Litter has now raised round $300 million whereas Flexport’s capital sheet is flush now to the tune of $1.three billion. As we touched on through the present, the 2 corporations at the moment are going to have extra money than they’ve ever had earlier than to make use of; let’s hope that that goes effectively.
- Talking of which, what about these valuations? Two fast issues to wrap up right here. First, discontent amongst Imaginative and prescient Fund traders. The Imaginative and prescient Fund’s LPs (the sources of its capital) aren’t completely proud of a few of its selections. That, and what occurred to individuals not taking blood cash? We requested that once more, in all probability shouting into the wind whereas we achieve this.
Because it seems Silicon Valley capitalism isn’t a New Man; it’s simply the identical outdated capitalism in a sweater vest.
All that and it was good to be again. Chat you all in every week’s time!
Fairness drops each Friday at 6:00 am PT, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Downcast and all of the casts.