A surprising 1956 Mercedes-Benz W198 300SL Gullwing is just lately being auctioned on Carry a Trailer, and evidently, we’re extremely encouraging you to empty your checking account, promote your home, snatch your children’ faculty enjoyable, and hit the “bid now” button. Chances are high, you will be outbid anyway, however it’s price a shot.
The particular Gullwing within the limelight is chassis quantity 198.040.6500156 and it’s certainly one of simply 308 Gullwings produced that yr. Over the course of the final two years, it’s been extensively restored and repainted to turn-key situation, the place the profitable purchaser may actually hop-in and drive off and into the sundown along with his or her newfound buy.
Nearly all of the automotive’s originality was saved intact, together with its repaint within the authentic manufacturing unit Graphite Grey exterior hue (coloration code DB190). Its Gentle Grey (code DB955) leather-based inside additionally underwent a full restoration.
This Gullwing additionally occurs to be a numbers-matching automotive, that includes its authentic direct-fuel-injected three.Zero-liter inline-six, engine quantity 6500153. To enhance the thorough restoration, the engine was eliminated and despatched to Raffi N. on the Pit Cease in Brisbane, California, for a significant overhaul as properly with solely just some “break-in” miles clocked in. Although apparently, the quirky however but useful collapsible steering wheel was changed by a factory-opted Nardi, which is type of unhappy for the reason that authentic SL’s steering wheel was a part of the automotive’s appeal from the get-go.
The automotive’s historical past can also be extensively documented. It was offered to a George Sterner of York, Pennsylvania in spring of 1956 by Max Hoffman, the premier importer for Mercedes-Benzes on the time. The Sterner household cherished the Gullwing for a strong 23 years earlier than being offered to Dr. Falk & Son of New Kensington, Pennsylvania, earlier than touchdown within the fingers of BaT in 2013 by an property sale.
As of this publish, the present bid for the public sale has topped $1 million so far, with nonetheless 20 days left earlier than its closing. Thus far, the costliest automotive to promote on BaT was a LaFerrari at $three.125 million.
Under is a near-full rundown of every little thing carried out to revive this Gullwing.
- Full engine rebuild to manufacturing unit specs with honed cylinders, new pistons, new valves, valve guides, bearings, timing chains
- Rebuilt fuel-injection pump and injectors (9 months with Gus at Pacific Gasoline Injection in Redwood Metropolis, California)
- Re-cored authentic radiator and oil cooler
- New thermostats for engine and injection system
- New bearings in cooling fan
- All new versatile gas strains
- All new versatile oil strains
- Twin electrical gas pumps and bypassed however intact manufacturing unit mechanical gas pump
- Gasoline tank cleaned
- New battery
- New Pirelli tires
- Newer stainless-steel exhaust system was retained
- Transmission was inspected and obtained new entrance bearing, enter and output seals, new gaskets, and a rebuilt shifter mechanism