- Lyft pulled 1,000 electrical bikes from its Citi Bikes fleet in New York in March after some customers had been injured by a brake malfunction.
- These pedal help fashions will not be returning till a minimum of September, the corporate confirmed Tuesday.
- A Lyft spokesperson declined to offer a timeline for different cities the place electrical bikes function, like San Francisco.
- Go to Enterprise Insider’s homepage for extra tales.
Lyft’s pledge to increase its fleet of electrical pedal-assist bikes in New York’s Citi Bike fleet seems to be on the skids.
1,000 bikes pulled by the ride-hailing operator in March will stay out of service till a minimum of the autumn, a Lyft spokesperson confirmed Tuesday, as the corporate fixes a brake concern that despatched some customers flying over the handlebars, in response to a Lyft spokesperson.
Streetsblog NYC first reported information on Monday.
When it bought Inspire, the bike share operator behind related programs in Chicago, San Francisco, Washington D.C. and different main American cities final 12 months, Lyft pledged to speculate $100 million in New York’s current system, doubling it to almost 40,000 bikes complete — a tenth of which can be electrical.
“We count on pedal-assist bikes will return to the Citi Bike system this fall,” a Lyft spokesperson instructed Enterprise Insider. “We’re assured that placing rider security first is all the time the appropriate choice, and we’re working onerous to design a world-class pedal-assist bike that we all know our riders will love. Within the meantime, Citi Bike stays an integral a part of New York Metropolis’s transportation community, with near-record ridership this previous week.’
The spokesperson declined to offer any data on electrical bikes in different cities, like San Francisco, which additionally stay out of service.
Uber, which operates electrical bike leases by way of its Leap Bikes subsidiary, additionally skilled an analogous concern with its brakes in March. Nevertheless, a spokesperson instructed Streetsblog on the time that it had fastened the issue with a “energy modulator” added to the braking system.
Extra Lyft information:
- Lyft hits one more low as rival Uber sputters in its 2nd day of buying and selling
- Stalled out: Why the frenzy of IPOs from massive, unprofitable firms like Uber and Lyft might throw all the market off observe
- Uber and Lyft drivers reveal the issues you must by no means do whereas taking a journey
- PHOTOS: Uber drivers the world over are putting about pay, circumstances, and the agency’s ‘orgy of greed’
SEE ALSO: Lyft loses lawsuit to overturn New York Metropolis’s minimal wage for ride-hailing drivers
FOLLOW US: On Fb for extra automobile and transportation content material!
Be a part of the dialog about this story »
NOW WATCH: Look inside Nissan’s 50th anniversary version GT-R