The Drive and its companions could earn a fee if you are going to buy a product by means of considered one of our hyperlinks. Learn extra.
The serpentine belt is situated within the engine and is liable for carrying energy to essential elements of your automobile, together with the air pump, energy steering pump, alternator, and different essential elements. The serpentine belt ensures that there’s concord between all elements below the bonnet, and if it breaks down, it may result in complete engine failure. Fortunate sufficient, there are aftermarket serpentine belt replacements that may get your engine again to working at its optimum degree. Right here’s a have a look at a number of the finest serpentine belt replacements.
Why Purchase A Serpentine Belt?
- Improve the engine elements as a unit. In case you are considering of changing your head gasket, gasket adhesives, or spark plug, then which may provide you with a touch that the opposite elements surrounding the engine may be due for alternative. You would possibly as properly substitute your entire set on the similar time so that you’ve got all of the elements within the entrance a part of your automobile functioning successfully.
- Forestall engine failure. A serpentine belt will give off indicators that it’s carrying out like fraying, cracking, or tearing earlier than failing. If that occurs, all equipment supported by the belt will turn out to be ineffective, your engine could begin to overheat, and your automobile may cease mid-journey. Exchange the belt earlier than you begin to expertise severe issues together with your engine.
- Higher design. In comparison with normal smaller belts and fan belts, serpentine belts are made to be stronger, extra compact, simpler to put in, and extra environment friendly. Serpentine belts are additionally cheaper and longer-lasting than the options.
- Transmit energy to important automotive elements. Important elements just like the air con unit, energy steering pump, alternator, and the water pump depend on the serpentine belt for energy so as to run easily.
From its inception in 1916, ACDelco has been recognized to make a number of the finest aftermarket alternative elements for the automotive business. Additionally, all ACDelco merchandise meet and exceed user-safety requirements. ACDelco is a subsidiary firm of Normal Motors, and it’s headquartered in Grand Blanc, Michigan. One in every of ACDelco’s highest quality serpentine belts is the ACDelco 6K930.
Dayco specializes within the design, manufacturing, and distribution of engine elements and drives techniques for the automotive, building, and agriculture industries. Dayco engine belts are sometimes obtainable in kits filled with different equipment, and it additionally manufactures pulley techniques to accompany the belts. One in every of Dayco’s quietest serpentine belts is the Dayco 5060840 Serpentine Belt.
Continental is likely one of the finest serpentine belts producers within the business. It’s a German automotive manufacturing firm that additionally makes inside electronics, brake techniques, and tires amongst different merchandise. The corporate has greater than 140 years within the business, and all through the years, its merchandise have managed to realize high-efficiency requirements. An excellent instance of such a high-efficiency Continental product is the Continental OE Expertise Sequence 4060740.
With over 100 years of expertise, Bando maintains its excellence in manufacturing and distributing OEM merchandise in the USA. Bando merchandise are used as OEM replacements in 80 p.c of the highest vehicles within the business and are additionally able to offering enhancements to skilled racing vehicles. One in every of its reasonably priced automobile belts is the Bando 6PK1305.
Greatest Serpentine Belt Pricing
- Beneath $20: Serpentine belts inside this value vary can final for at most 70,000 miles earlier than they want a alternative. You could discover some nice OEM replacements right here, however most don’t maintain the fascinating degree of resistance to warmth, chipping, and cracking. Nonetheless, you can see some nice merchandise from famend manufacturers that run easily with no irritating sounds.
- $20 to $30: Anticipate finding engine belts with a lifespan starting from 50,000 to 80,000 miles inside this value vary. Most merchandise listed here are created from high-strength resistant supplies and carry excessive horsepower hundreds. You additionally received’t have to fret about malfunctioning units, loud noises, or lack of tenacity with a lot of the merchandise right here.
- Above $30: The belts get extra dependable the upper you go on this value vary. Most merchandise listed here are created from a high-quality rubber materials that makes the belts proof against warmth, and so they preserve their tenacity and high quality even after a lifetime of 100,000 miles. They’re additionally extra proof against deterioration attributable to grease, oil, and different elements.
The mannequin quantity in your manufacturing unit serpentine belt will aid you get one of the best aftermarket measurement. If the earlier belt is just too worn out to point out any mannequin quantity, take it out and measure the size. Then choose an aftermarket piece that’s one measurement smaller to get one of the best match. Alternatively, your automobile proprietor’s handbook (should you nonetheless have it) offers you the right measurement for the serpentine belt.
Neoprene was the usual materials for developing serpentine belts, however the belts typically ended up being shiny and developed cracks with time. Most producers have presently modified to Ethylene-Propylene-Diene-Monomer(EPDM), which is extra proof against put on and warmth and is longer-lasting than Neoprene.
The development of the serpentine belt needs to be sturdy sufficient to face up to warmth and tough circumstances that usually result in put on. The typical lifespan for the belt is 60,000 miles, however yow will discover some models from high-end manufacturers that push to 100,000 miles.
- Rib Sample: The rib sample contributes to the lifespan of the belt. The perfect belts have cross cuts and quite a few valleys to permit extra air to get beneath the belt, stopping overheating and stretching.
- Shear Resistance: That is the flexibility of the belt to guard itself or to withstand structural failures resembling shears or cracks. Most high-end belts are marketed to be crack-resistant and that’s largely as a result of design and materials of the belt.
Greatest Serpentine Belt Opinions & Suggestions 2019
Greatest Serpentine Belt Total: ACDelco 6K930
The ACDelco 6K930 is likely one of the most sturdy serpentine belts in the marketplace. That is because of its robust building, that includes EPDM rubber, which is reliable, crack-resistant, and lasts 60 p.c longer than most retail belts. The belt additionally has a versatile building that may face up to uncountable high and bottom bends with out shedding its tenacity. The mannequin received’t put on out when working on a high-temperature engine.
The belt matches all kinds of auto makes and fashions, and it accepts misalignment manner higher than most belts, that means that the belt ensures the protected working of your automobile, even when it stretches out or doesn’t match completely on the pulley system. The belt’s ribs transmit energy hundreds effectively all through the belt drive techniques and make sure that the automobile’s elements are acting at their optimum capability.
Nonetheless, the belt has a slim top-width which will make the set up course of a bit tough. It’s additionally not appropriate with some vehicles. Compatibility is at all times a difficulty with serpentine belts, however that might not be such an enormous downside for model engines like Toyota, Nissan, Honda, GM, and VW.
Click on Right here to See Costs on Amazon
Greatest Worth Serpentine Belt: Bando 6PK1305
The Bando 6PK1305 is an OEM-quality belt with floor rubber ribs splendid for growing its lifespan. The belt has six ribs, every measuring 84.1 inches, to make an OEM-specific rib profile. It options high-quality floor rubber ribs which might be created from sturdy artificial rubber, and it’s each heat- and crack-resistant. The belt has sturdy tensile cords that may face up to high-horsepower hundreds with out shedding its tenacity.
You’ll respect the truth that you may set up the belt simply, even with out utilizing the set up service bundle provided by Bando. Changing the belt can be simple, however its easy efficiency offers you the sense of your unique belt. This Bando mannequin presents a noise-free trip and is a dependable and reasonably priced product.
The draw back of this Bando mannequin is that the belt doesn’t have tooth. So as to add on to that, it additionally feels mild, and that is perhaps one of many first issues you’ll expertise with the belt when the engine’s pulley system slips. It’s additionally not appropriate with all vehicles, particularly older automobiles that don’t have an AC system.
Click on Right here to See Costs on Amazon
Greatest Serpentine Belt Honorable Point out: Gates Ok081264HD
The Gates serpentine belt is a heavy-duty belt with praiseworthy high quality and resistance. It’s proof against warmth and cracks, and it’s thicker than most OEM belts. The belt is fabricated from high-profile supplies that meet OEM requirements. It additionally has a big load capability and might carry out the roughest purposes with utmost precision and effectivity. The belt takes a V-groove design and operates quietly.
The belt is 1.08 inches large and 20 inches lengthy. It’s additionally simple to put in for anybody who’s helpful with instruments; all you want is a one-kit torque wrench to mount it on the pulley system. Gates additionally gives an instruction information that can assist you when putting in the belt. Its heavy-duty building is appropriate for SUVs, vehicles, and different tough-application automobiles.
The draw back of this product is that the heavy-duty building comes with the next price ticket than different normal belts. It presents a noise-free trip in normal circumstances however could begin to get squeaky or vibrate as soon as some snow will get on it. You may additionally need assistance putting in it as a result of thick measurement in case you are involved about getting the suitable rigidity from the automated belt tensioner.
Click on Right here to See Costs on Amazon
- Generally, the serpentine belt would possibly fail with out giving off any seen warnings. It might additionally fail when misaligned or put in incorrectly. Have an expert set up the belt for you and test on its situation often to be sure that it’s working as supposed.
- Exchange the belt after 5 p.c of the rib materials is worn out. The ‘ribs’ or ‘valleys’ on the belt will be measured with a small software known as a Vernier caliper (Ask an expert that can assist you use it). If that appears tough, you may substitute the belt each 4 to 6 years, relying on its situation.
- You’ll begin to discover a faulty belt from its edges, as that’s the place it begins to wear down and crack. You may additionally discover some squealing noises coming from the entrance a part of your automobile. In case that occurs and also you aren’t prepared to purchase a brand new belt, you may lubricate the belt with high-quality engine oil to purchase a while earlier than alternative.
- Have an expert test the situation of the automated belt-tensioner each time you substitute the serpentine belt. It’s a self-tensioning system that maintains the stability of rigidity and suppleness within the fast-spinning rubber, and with out it, the belt could slip or run scorching and snap.
Q: How lengthy do serpentine belts final?
A: Most serpentine belts final between 50,000 and 100,000 miles, relying on the standard of the model and your driving habits. The extra you’re on the street, the extra the belt will get uncovered to put on from friction, and that shortens its lifespan. Nonetheless, with the developments in rubber know-how, some belts will be manually serviced by growing the stress on the pulley. That will increase the belt’s lifespan so long as it doesn’t snap.
Q: How will I do know that my automobile belt must be changed?
A: The belt will give off some tell-tale indicators that it’s beginning to wear down. You could discover some quelling or chirping noises each time you run the engine. That could possibly be a sign that the belt is slipping from its pulley as a consequence of stretching out. Different indicators could embrace cracks, lacking chunks, energy steering or air con failure, and at last, your automobile could break down when you’re driving.
Q: Can I take advantage of two belts in my automobile?
A: That received’t be essential. It would look like one of the best answer to have two belts working choose equipment, however that was solely a pattern with older automobiles. With the brand new and improved serpentine belt, a single belt can deal with working all of the engine elements and delivering energy to particular person elements.
Q: Can I drive with a foul serpentine belt?
A: It is determined by the extent of the injury. If the belt breaks, then your automobile will break down. Your energy steering and air con will even fail. That could possibly be dangerous if it occurs if you find yourself on the street. Nonetheless, you may lubricate the belt if it hasn’t snapped and substitute it inside three days.
We went for the ACDelco 6K930 as our high decide as a consequence of its sturdiness and skill to simply accept misalignment, a uncommon function with most engine belts.
Our greatest worth product is the Bando 6PK1305 as a result of it’s reasonably priced and probably the greatest serpentine belts in the marketplace right this moment.
Is your engine belt due for alternative? Would you employ any of the serpentine belts in our evaluate? Tell us what you suppose within the remark part under.