In Melbourne, the double defending champion Roger Federer will begin his bid for a hat-trick of Australian Open titles subsequent week in opposition to unseeded Uzbek Denis Istomin, who brought about an enormous upset when he defeated Novak Djokovic within the second spherical two years in the past.
The draw for the primary Grand Slam of the season was made on Thursday and the highest seeds may face some early checks of their credentials when play will get underway in Melbourne on Monday.
The six-times Australian Open champion Federer, who beat Marin Cilic in final yr’s closing, may meet the Croat within the quarter-finals, ought to the Swiss come by a doubtlessly difficult fourth spherical in opposition to Greek prospect Stefanos Tsitsipas.
“I at all times have tried to remind myself that it is a dream,” Federer mentioned of his longevity on the draw ceremony held at Margaret Court docket Area, the place he found the world quantity 99 can be his opening opponent.
The 2009 champion Nadal, who retired harm within the quarter-finals in opposition to Cilic final yr, may meet previous rival Federer within the final 4 ought to his physique maintain up.
Guess on Australia Open- Males right here
Attention-grabbing information about Roger Federer
- In 1998, he received the Junior Wimbledon, the place he received each the boys’ and singles closing. Later that yr, he misplaced the US Open Junior closing to David Nalbandian. He received four ITF junior singles tournaments in his profession.
- In 1999, he entered the highest 100 rankings in tennis. He performed his first closing on the Marseille Open in 2000, which he misplaced to Marc Rosset. His first title got here in 1999 on the Challenger tour; successful the doubles occasion in Spain, and in 2001, he received his first singles title in Milan Indoor event, in opposition to Julien Boutter.
- On the 2001 Wimbledon, he erupted as a sensation by knocking out the good Pete Sampras within the 4th spherical.
- Two years after his Wimbledon debut, Federer turned the primary Swiss man to win a Grand Slam title at Wimbledon in 2003, in opposition to Mark Philippoussis.
- In 2006, Federer received 12 singles titles with a powerful match document of 92–5. Federer reached 16 of the 17 finals throughout this season.
- With the incomes round $78 million (as in 2018), he’s counted amongst the richest sports activities personalities ever. He possesses luxurious homes and villas in Dubai, Swiss village of Valbella, and in Wollerau, south of Zurich.
- With 20 Grand Slam titles, he’s definitely top-of-the-line gamers that tennis has ever produced.