Automaker publishes security report
In a step some would possibly see as lengthy overdue, Tesla has printed a security replace by its Vice President for Environmental, Well being and Security (EHS), Laurie Shelby. The manager, who has a strong 30-year profession, beforehand spending nearly 18 years at Alcoa doing comparable work, made a powerful look on the corporate’s monetary name with buyers. Addressing the analysts ready to ask monetary questions, together with myriad journalists listening in, she gave a full-throated protection of Tesla’s security tradition at its services. Now, she has packaged that data in a single weblog submit, which yow will discover in full under.
Whereas we right here at InsideEVs aren’t specialists within the security discipline, the efforts being made by the California automaker definitely appear spectacular. They embody its personal on-site clinic at Fremont headed by an orthopedic surgeon and using three full-time medical doctors out there to staff for each work-related and non-work associated accidents.
Additionally of curiosity is the dialogue of the Four-month Cal OSHA investigation on the plant within the wake of a supposed exposé of the protection tradition there by the publication Reveal. Apparently, solely two minor points had been, um, revealed after the intensive investigation, making us surprise if the unique report was precise journalism or a part of a wider disinformation marketing campaign.
Regardless, we loved this report and suppose you’ll too. We hope the corporate continues to share data on this facet of its efforts going ahead.
One Yr In: Tesla Security Replace
Final October, I joined Tesla to supervise its Environmental, Well being and Security (EHS) workforce. Reporting on to Elon and usually assembly with him, I’ve loved Tesla’s full help as I expanded the corporate’s world EHS workforce to 250 staff, including 35 individuals on the Fremont manufacturing unit alone. Over the previous yr, it’s been clear to me that nothing is extra necessary to Tesla than the well being and well-being of its staff. We’re the most important producer within the state of California, and whereas different U.S. auto producers proceed to outsource expert jobs and security requirements, Tesla is creating and maintaining extra jobs proper right here in america, permitting us to manage high quality and security immediately. And the result’s that our damage charge has continued to development downward in 2018.
My very own security philosophy, honed throughout 30 years within the occupation, is at the start based mostly on prevention and mitigation of danger. At Tesla, meaning an intense give attention to the prevention of serious accidents. Main accidents are averted after we be taught from small errors and tackle them proactively and aggressively earlier than they grow to be one thing critical, thereby lowering the chance life-altering damage will happen.
On Wednesday, Elon invited me to share the protection enhancements we’ve made this previous yr with buyers on our quarterly earnings name as a result of that is so necessary to him personally. I’m actually pleased with what we’re doing at Tesla and listed below are among the highlights:
- In June 2018, Tesla started the transition to a brand new, improved occupational well being clinic within the Fremont manufacturing unit, managed by Entry Omnicare. Overseen by a number one California orthopedic surgeon specializing within the analysis and therapy of musculoskeletal accidents (which comprise roughly 85-90% of accidents at Tesla), Tesla’s determination to put a specialised occupational well being clinic on website is innovative within the discipline of office well being. Beforehand, Fremont’s well being facility supplied a special scope of providers, working as a wellness clinic targeted totally on triage and first help. Tesla’s new clinic presents extra specialised, on-site care and is staffed by a workforce of three full-time physicians, who present on-site medical assessments and exact diagnoses of our staff’ circumstances. Staff who are suffering work-related accidents are supplied with professional, on-site therapy from the very begin, fairly than having to attend to be referred to a specialist. In the meantime, staff who come to the clinic with a non-work-related damage or situation nonetheless obtain triage and emergency care.
- For the reason that launch of our new clinic, roughly half of our distributors have added Entry Omnicare as a clinic supplier, one thing the legislation requires third-party companies do earlier than their contract staff will be handled by an on-site medical supplier (although triage and emergency care will at all times be supplied, as wanted). These contract staff at the moment are eligible for normal, complete therapy at Entry Omnicare. Tesla is within the means of instituting this for the remaining distributors and anticipate all shall be using the clinic in the identical manner Tesla staff do by early 2019.
- Earlier this yr, we additionally launched an Early Symptom Intervention program, which entails proactively sending skilled athletic trainers out to the manufacturing unit traces to determine potential accidents earlier than they happen, providing on-site evaluations and options for improved ergonomic security. In just some months, the coaching workforce has seen very encouraging outcomes. For the reason that program kicked off, the trainers have carried out almost 6,400 consultations with Tesla staff on our Basic Meeting, Seats, and Manufacturing Management traces, and we’re including much more trainers.
- As a part of our dedication to working the most secure factories, Tesla acknowledges it must share finest practices and always push the frontiers on industrial security. We’ve joined nationwide security organizations and suppose tanks together with the Transplant Automotive Security Discussion board (TASF), the Nationwide Security Council, and ORCHSE, which amongst different issues, offers recordkeeping session if there are ever questions round whether or not an damage is or isn’t recordable. We’ve additionally collaborated with College packages, together with the College of California, Berkeley’s Heart for Occupational and Environmental Well being. Tesla has additionally engaged exterior specialists as a useful resource and to advise us on methods we will enhance.
- This summer season, Cal-OSHA accomplished a complete four-month investigation into our OSHA recordkeeping practices for all the Fremont manufacturing unit. This included a number of onsite visits and conferences, and 7 documentation requests, together with a assessment of legally mandated information, damage logs, Tesla’s security insurance policies, and extra. After this intensive assessment, we’re happy that Cal-OSHA recognized solely two minor points: an extension twine related to a fan that created a possible journey hazard (which was addressed instantly in the course of the inspection), and one small discrepancy within the date of when a single damage occurred, although it was logged appropriately in our 2018 information. This was promptly clarified as an administrative error with Cal OSHA and confirmed by the medical supplier. We acknowledge we’re not excellent, however that is additional proof of Tesla’s give attention to correct reporting and transparency.
- Lastly, we launched “Discover It-Repair It” on the finish of 2017, a brand new program that encourages and rewards staff who converse up after they see a security danger – and asks them to be a part of the answer in order that we will shortly right it. I imagine in going to the supply and listening to individuals on the road to get probably the most dependable details about the place and the way we will enhance. That’s the reason our security specialists don’t sit at desks—they’re embedded in manufacturing unit operations. It’s vital that leaders hear immediately from our manufacturing unit associates, which is why my workforce and I spend as a lot time as potential on the traces watching and speaking immediately with manufacturing personnel. Their issues are finally my issues and it’s this sort of partnership that results in the very best security outcomes for the corporate and our staff.
I’m honored to work at Tesla. There’s nonetheless much more to be finished in an effort to grow to be the most secure firm on the planet, however I’m pleased with how far we’ve come over the previous 12 months.