An adolescent's jaw shattered after a vape pen exploded in his mouth, as soon as once more elevating issues about e-cigarettes
- An adolescent suffered from a shattered jaw after a vape pen exploded in his mouth, as documented in a brand new report from The New England Journal of Drugs.
- The incident as soon as once more raised issues concerning the security dangers related to battery-powered vape pens that may be susceptible to overheating.
- Go to Enterprise Insider’s homepage for extra tales.
A 17-year-old boy suffered from a shattered jaw after a vape pen exploded in his mouth, an damage that knocked out a number of enamel and required that his jaw be wired shut for six weeks, in response to NBC Information.
The incident, which occurred final 12 months, was documented in The New England Journal of Drugs on Thursday, as soon as once more elevating issues concerning the security dangers related to battery-powered vape pens and digital cigarettes that may be susceptible to overheating.
The boy, Austin Adams, was utilizing a vape pen made by an organization known as VGOD in an try to give up smoking, NBC reported. He was handled at a hospital in Salt Lake Metropolis, Utah for a blast damage to the decrease jaw and burns round his lip, Katie Russell, one of many trauma surgeons that handled Adams and a co-author of the journal entry, informed the outlet.
Within the paper, Russell referred to the “rising prevalence of vaping amongst adolescents” as a “public well being concern.”
Adams needed to have his gumline sewn again collectively and wanted to get non permanent braces for his remaining enamel. He additionally had his jaw wired shut for six weeks, however has since totally recovered from the damage, in response to NBC.
Adams’ story is not an unusual one. In line with the US Fireplace Administration, US media have reported 195 incidents of explosion and fireplace involving an digital cigarette between January 2009 and December 2016, 133 of which resulted in acute accidents. Of these accidents, 38 have been described as extreme.
Two individuals have died from e-cigarette explosions lately. A 38-year previous man in St. Petersburg, Florida died in Might 2018 from a projectile wound to the pinnacle after an e-cigarette exploded, as CNN reported. Earlier this 12 months in February, a 24-year-old Texas man died after an e-cigarette exploded and lower an artery in his neck, in response to NBC.
As a part of an effort to crack down on the sale of e-cigarettes to youth, The Meals and Drug Administration just lately issued new pointers that make it in order that e-cigarettes and vape pens can solely be bought in shops that verify identification on the door or have an age-restricted part for such merchandise, as CBS reported in March. The company additionally took motion in opposition to retailers that illegally bought e-cigarette merchandise to minors final September, leading to greater than 1,300 fines being issued.
The FDA additionally offers security pointers to assist customers mitigate the danger of getting their vape pen or e-cigarette overheat and probably explode. The company suggests utilizing vape pens with security options akin to air flow holes and firing button locks, and warns in opposition to charging such gadgets in a single day.
Be part of the dialog about this story »
NOW WATCH: Watch Ford’s supply robotic that walks on two legs like a human