The 2019 Mazda3 Sedan, By the Numbers
- Base Value (as Examined): $24,000 ($30,135)
- Powertrain: Skyactiv-G 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine | 186 horsepower, 186 pound-feet of torque | six-speed automated transmission | all-wheel drive
- EPA Gasoline Financial system: 25 mpg metropolis | 33 mpg freeway
- Seating Capability: 5
- Cargo House: 13.2 cubic toes
- Fast Take: An unbelievable step ahead when it comes to construct high quality and refinement, the newest iteration of Mazda’s well-liked sedan will please model devoted and newcomers alike with its Teutonic driving dynamics. Nevertheless, dealing with comes on the expense of total consolation, exhibiting there’s extra work to be completed.
The 2019 Mazda3 Sedan: The Execs
- The Mazda3 shines in its curvaceous design, particularly in alluring Soul Purple (a $595 choice), which demanded extra double-takes from passersby than any $30Ok sedan actually ought to. I did not anticipate to see so many wandering eyes subsequent to me at stoplights, however hey—it is a handsome little factor.
- Lastly, a four-cylinder engine in an economic system automotive that is not starved for energy. 186 horses might not sound like quite a bit, however Mazda’s Skyactive magic delivers linear acceleration paying homage to the six-cylinder turbo from the praiseworthy CX-5—solely with barely much less oomph, in fact. Sport mode sharpens throttle response and weighs down the steering, nevertheless it’s hardly mandatory as a result of three’s already-sharp reflexes.
- With nice energy sometimes comes hefty gasoline payments, however fortunately the Mazda3 would not subscribe to such koans. Practically 600 miles of heavily-mixed driving over seven days resulted in a median of 30.6 miles per gallon, larger than the EPA estimate of 28 mpg mixed.
- You possibly can’t purchase a quieter cabin for $30,000, interval, even factoring within the Mazda’s comparatively low-profile tires and stiff suspension, the Mazda glides down the freeway with a serenity that’s really stunning for the worth level. All the higher to benefit from the 12-speaker Bose sound system on the Premium trim, and to make a seven-hour drive from Wisconsin to Indiana as peaceable as attainable.
- This child can deal with. Merely hearth up the engine and prepare to smile, as a result of this unhealthy boy hugs the highway with the arrogance and refinement sometimes related to way more costly automobiles.
The 2019 Mazda3 Sedan: The Cons
- There’s at all times a worth to be paid for sharp design. Drivers and passengers within the 6-foot/200-pound vary will battle to enter and exit that modern cabin by the slim door openings. With the steering column in prime driving place, getting out and in with out hitting my proper thigh on the tiller proved to be a challenger every time.
- Measurement issues, and there are few locations the place that rings more true than cupholders in America. For those who use a refillable container that is greater than 9 inches tall, you will not be pleased with the middle cupholders within the Mazda3. Not solely are they positioned removed from the driving force and passenger—instantly beneath heart stack as a substitute of the armrests—however they don’t seem to be suitable with in the present day’s reusable containers. My Swell water bottle, particularly, saved rocking round and hitting the seat heater buttons.
- The automated parking brake has a thoughts of its personal. I’ll dwell in flat-has-hell Indiana, however I take advantage of the parking brake every time I drive, goddamnit. The Mazda3 is provided with a switch-activated digital brake; fantastic, that is turn into the usual, however its auto-deactivation characteristic that’s imagined to launch when you shift into drive and set off labored lower than half the time. It was slightly disconcerting to really feel the automotive attempt to pull itself ahead with the rear wheels nonetheless locked, and I used to be left to surprise what precisely triggers the automated disengagement.
- However by far, the most important downside with the 2019 Mazda3 is its journey stiffness. The impartial MacPherson strut entrance suspension and torsion beam rear assist the three deal with like a dream at velocity, nevertheless it’s an entire completely different story on the poorly maintained highways of Chicago and pothole-ridden roads of Indianapolis. A seven-hour freeway stint resulted in sheer distress with my decrease again praying for a break from the fixed jolts transmitted by the overly strung suspension. It seems that the oldsters at Mazda R&D forgot that not everybody lives in sunny California and that autocrossing is not on everybody’s day by day to-do listing.
The 2019 Mazda3 Sedan, Worth
Sportiness and magnificence might give the Mazda3 a bonus with lovers on the lookout for a brand new journey, however when your rivals embrace the venerable Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla, these traits alone aren’t sufficient to ship massive gross sales outcomes. Good factor my absolutely loaded tester’s price ticket of $30,135 is a smoking deal if I’ve ever seen one. Along with enjoyable tech like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, security techniques like Mazda’s Sensible Metropolis Brake Help, radar cruise management with full-stop capabilities, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning system, lane protecting help, rear cross site visitors alert, adaptive full LED entrance lighting system, and LED taillights are additionally included within the worth.
And if you happen to’re trying to shave a couple of dollars off that sticker, you might simply dwell with out the $425 illuminated door sill plates and the $275 frame-less rearview mirror discovered on this construct. Additionally, let’s not neglect that this automotive has all-wheel drive, whereas its front-drive counterpart shaves three grand off the beginning worth and comes with the identical 186-horsepower fantastic thing about an engine.
The 2019 Mazda3 Sedan, The Backside Line
What extra are you able to ask from a budget-conscious stunner that handles and looks like a German sports activities sedan? Normally, nothing. However on this case, a barely extra civic method to ergonomics and suspension would go a great distance. My suggestion? Bleed a pound or two of air strain to make the sidewall of the P215/45 R18 all-season tires a bit extra versatile, or just go for the meatier 16-inch tire and wheel combo provided in lesser trims. Apart from that, I go away satisfied that proudly owning a Mazda3 would significantly improve the variety of occasions one smiles all through the day.