At the Los Angeles Auto Show 2012, the Chevrolet has revealed the all new first plug-in electric vehicle with SAE Combo DC Fast Charging ability – the 5-door Urban All-Electric mini – the Chevrolet Spark EV – which is not only safe, efficient, durable but affordable and reliable also. The first modern electric green vehicle will be assembled in the manufacturing facility at General Motors White Marsh, MD in U.S., is going for sale this year(2013) and will be delivered to customers in 2014. The 2014 Chevrolet EV has all durable and reliable features that has a warranty of 1,00,000 miles[i.e. 1,60,934 kilometers] or 8 years and specially tested for more than 200,000 hours. Chevrolet has assembled the best performance EV range with advanced electric motor and battery system of 20-kWh lithium ion battery that gives excellent acceleration by generating a horsepower of 130[i.e 100 kilo-Watts] and top torque of 400 pound feet[i.e. 542 Nm]. With smart performance and connectivity technologies, the Spark EV interior has new and advanced features like noise reduction feature, two 7-inch, high-resolution LCD screens that shows key vehicle functions and infotainment, sports mode feature, a front display panel which shows vehicle charging status, more cockpit space, bright accents incorporated with Electric Blue and chrome finish and a comfortable drive experience. The 2014 Spark EV will be available in different colors which consists of Summit White, Titanium, Silver Ice, Electric Blue and Black Granite. Chevrolet team has done quite good work in improving the EV Aerodynamics, to make it more efficient and also assist users to save more driving related battery energy usage.
The new Spark EV weighs 560 pounds[i.e. 254 kg] square lithium-ion battery pack with a volume of 133 liters, comprising 336 prismatic cells. In North America, the all electric vehicle will have the optional features of SAE Combo DC Fast Charge capability, which can charge the 80% battery capacity in just 20 minutes. It has common on-board charging which has 3 charging platforms – DC Fast Charge, AC 240V and AC 120V. By using AC 240V based charging, it takes less than 7 hours to fully recharge. User can monitor and manage the EV remotely by a computer at OnStar.com or with a special Chevrolet Mobile App powered by OnStar Remote Link.
The new Spark EV will be come with a price tag under $25,000 with tax incentives and with 3 years of standard OnStar service. Some of the advanced features are :
TOP NEWS TRI-AD, Maxar Applied sciences, NTT DATA collaborate to construct high-definition maps for autonomous automobiles from area
- It has the feature to control apps for BringGO navigation, TuneIn, Pandora and Stitcher. For compatible iPhone users, they can use Siri, eye free and hand free communication.
- The users of smartphone like Android, Blackberry and iPhone can connect contact, photos, videos and songs with EV by using Bluetooth/USB
- The touch screen display shows the animated power status, charging status, energy information screen with climate controls and MyLink Radio.
- The useful gauges which are quite easy to know the power status, battery gauge, efficiency gauge and confidence gauge
Auto Press Release 2012
Chevrolet Spark EV is Pure, Electric Fun
Competitively priced under $25,000 with tax incentives2012-11-27
- Note: 11-28-12 update to kW hour in 7th paragraph
- Expected range among best in EV segment
- Advanced, U.S.-built motor and drive unit deliver best-in-class acceleration
- Two seven-inch, high-resolution LCD screens display key vehicle functions and infotainment
- Initial markets include California, Oregon, Canada, South Korea and other global markets
- Optional SAE Combo DC Fast Charging capability enables Spark EV to charge to 80 percent in 20 minutes